NAME: Ramsay
COUNTY: Carew Township, District of Sudbury
CLIMATE: Cold snowy winters, warm summers
BEST TIME TO VISIT: May to october, site is accessible year round howe
COMMENTS: 150km north from sudbury on hwy 144, left on e.B.Eddy road (sultan industrial rd.) at watershed restaurant. Continue for about 30 km when another road to your right announces ramsay and bisco. Drive down this road to a fork 11km south. Take the right fork to ramsay 4km away at the tracks (the left fork gets you to biscotasing 29km away). Foundations in a row show the cramped appartements furnished by e.B.Eddy and later domtar. They are large cement platforms side by side on a knoll (15 or so foundations). The sidings for the shipping of pulpwood, and foundations of the chippers and sawyers (for loading on logging trucks) remain. Two old frame homes are all that remain of the jerome gold mines ltd. The nearby lake attracts some cottahers every summer.
REMAINS: Foundations (platforms with tiles), two frame homes, siding,, railway facilities (occupied bunkhouse for cpr crews), and an old base ball diamond overtaken by a young forest.
The Jerome Gold Mines Ltd, established a family town site at Ramsay for the convieniance of families. Here stood a school, store, an unoficial post office, homes, station, and section homes. A sawmill was erected by a contracter to supply the mine withe timbers. After the mines closure in 1945 the sawmill also moved away to Devon (near Chapleau) squeezed aout of the growing pulpwood demand. Kalamazoo Vegetable Parchment took over the site and established a larger puplwood shipping facility. The village grew again as an official post office was finally opened in 1948. The outfit was latter purchased by E.B.Eddy sometime in the 1950's. The community was modernised and built in arow upon the hill, while some other structures like a few single homes and the communityhall, stood on the other side of the rails. The site peaked to a population nearly 300. By the 1980's the townsite contained a bit of hustling to it. However by 1987, although containing 180 residents, the pulpwood facilities were shut down (to be used occasionnaly, and necessitating fewer men). The town site was closed and all moved away (~1988). E.B.Eddy Pulp and Paper (mill in Espanola, Ont.) was purchased by Domtar in the early 1990's, and the site reverted in their hands. It was finally dismantled in February 2002. Submitted by: Yvan P.Charbonneau