NAME: Weaver
COUNTY: Yavapai
CLIMATE: Mild winter, hot summer
BEST TIME TO VISIT: Winter, spring, fall
COMMENTS: Past Stanton and Octave.Drive north from Congress on SR 89 and keep eyes for "Frog Rock" on the left side of the road. This frog is painted green with white line witch made frog mouth. Road to Stanton is on the right side, 2 miles after Congress. Road is market with sign. After the sign is 6 miles of good dirt road to Stan-ton. Weaver (Weaverville) is 2 miles behind Stanton on the same side of the road, on the east side of Rich Hill along Weaver Creek.
REMAINS: One small building and current mining operations.

Weaver's post office was established May 26, 1899 and was discontinued April 19, 1900 because it was moved to nearby Octave. Weaver is the site of the richest placer deposits in Arizona. Nuggets were found lying on the ground at the base of Rich Hill. Overnight Weaver became a success and the city was named in honor of Pauline Weaver, the leader of the expedition that found the gold. Weaver was discovered in the early 1860's and had much trouble with Indians. Weaver was known as a hangout for robbers and thieves and was eventually absorbed into the town of Octave. A few foundations and some current mining remain at the site of Weaver.

In 1863, same year as Henry Wickenburg discovered Vulture ore, lead Pauline We-aver, an famous Western prospector and scout, a group of people organized by Abraham Harlow Peeples from Yuma into central Arizona Territory. One night they killed tree antelopes beside Creek under the rocky hilltop. When some of those people searched for gold by the Creek, a man with the name Alvaro clambered to the top of the Hill and he found gold nuggets. Creek were named Antelope Creek, the canyon on the east side of the hill became Weaver Gulch, and top of the hill who contained head ore became Rich Hill. Around Rich Hill grooved 3 cities: Stanton, Weaver and Octave. Back to Weaver, witch was colored city named after Pauline Weaver why found a rich gold ore on the place. When gold ore was empty, this popular community Weaver became dangerous place and made town Stanton to nice place. Weaver became hide place for tiffs and killers, and some of them were hired by Charles Stanton in his fight for power. After killing of William Segna in 1898 (owner of combinated saloon and store), people moved (because danger for there's lives) to Octave, the nearby town. Weaver's post office was established May 26, 1899 and was discontinued April 19, 1900 because it was moved to nearby Octave. After 30 years with non law the gangs were definitely haunted out and Weaver became ghost town. Submitted by: Bobby Krause Zlatevski

Weaver in 1888
Courtesy Sharlot Hall Museum, Prescott

Weaver Today
Courtesy Tom McCurnin

Frog rock on the way to Weaver
Courtesy Bobby Krause Zlatevski