(old and new)
COUNTY: San Bernardino
GRID #(see map): 4
CLIMATE: Mild winter Hot summer
BEST TIME TO VISIT: September to may
north of Joshua Tree National Park on the Old Dale Road. This
road begins in fairly deep sand and continues through rocky hills.
REMAINS: Nothing at Old Dale, foundations and a few buildings at New Dale. Various mines in the area
Dale was founded in 1884 on the shore of Dale Dry Lake at the site of a well drilled into the lake to supply water to the dry diggings about six miles to the south. The town of Dale was moved about 10 miles south around 1910 and called New Dale (the origianl site was therefore called Old Dale). The major mines in the area were the Supply and the OK. The mines were worked on and off until the late 1940's. There are numerous mines and old buildings in the area and the Dale mining district is well worth exploring. In Joshua Tree National Park is the Lost Horse Mine, the best preserved mine in the area. It is located at the end of a 2 mile hiking trail.Submitted by: Brent Caldon
Dale, California: The Virginia Dale's Two Forgotten Towns , published in Desert Magazine April 1957, has a lot of story, two photos and a DM-style map, starting on page 17. Written by Ronald D. Miller.
Dale 2 (New Dale) was located just east of the intersection with Gold Crown Road and the east most road from the Supply Mine at approx. 34 degrees 3 min North, 115 degrees 43 min E. There is not much there except rusty tin cans and faint foundations. Dale 1 (Old Dale) was located at a good water source and the main trail through the area in the early 1880's. Dale 2 moved this site mid to late 1880's. Dale 2 was still used even after Dale 3 was established at the Supply Mine around 1903.YukonBob/SteveS - Jan. 01.
Dale 3 is located at the top of the Pass a few hundred feet North of the Supply Mine site at approx. 34 degrees 4 min North, 115 degrees 43 min E. Dale 3 was established in 1903 according to J. Smeaton Chase's book, who had spent the night there in 1915. There is not much there except concrete foundations and a crumbled rock wall to a building with walls 2 feet thick. Dale 1 (Old Dale) was located at a good water source and the main trail through the area in the 1890's. Dale 2 (New Dale) moved it's site in the mid to late 1880's and was used even after Dale 3 was established. Submitted by Stephen Sprangler.