NAME: Deadwood
COUNTY: Trinity
CLIMATE: Snow in winter, Hot in Summer
BEST TIME TO VISIT: Summer, Road is not maintained in Winter months
COMMENTS: Located about seven miles east of Lewiston Ca. the turn off is a dirt road 1/4 mile before the fish hatchery in lewiston follow road about seven miles.take road split to right. You will find old Buildings and an old stamp mill and out buildings. The mine was called the Brown Bear mine and at one time was home to about 10,000 miners it had it's own post office. This was the mine that Black Bart use to rob the stage between Deadwood and French Gulch. More information Can be gained from the Weaverville Museum.
REMAINS: Old Stamp Mill and a Bunk house and stables
The mine was last worked in the 1970's there are many things to see origanaly opened in the late 1800's the mine was the only gold mine in production in 1974 in the us. Pictures are avail. in the Weaverville Museum Submitted by: David Zutz