NAME: Crook
CLIMATE: Has all four seasons
BEST TIME TO VISIT: Spring, summer and fall but can visit in winter
COMMENTS: Can be reached by driving 28 miles east of Sterling on I-76 the two miles north at Crook interchange. The Crook Museum is worth a visit. Plenty of recreation and camping in the area at Jumbo Reservoir in the spring, summer and fall. In the fall there is fantastic upland gamebird hunting for pheasants and quail plus superb waterfowl hunting for ducks and geese along the South Platte River and Jumbo Reservoir. Big game hunting for white tail as well as mule deer in the fall. Lot of public land in the area for hiking and photography. 30 miles north is the world famous Cabela's Sporting Goods Store in Sidney, Nebraska.
REMAINS: Retirede local farmers still live in Crook but the town is abandoned except for a gas station and cafe.
Crook is the oldest settlements in Logan county. The townsite was laid out Mr. Leon Loizeaux, President of the Cedar Valley Land and Irrigation Co. in 1907. Prior to the establishment of the town the country was devoted strictly to the cattle industry. Before the first irrigation ditches were constructed in the early 1900's this portion of the South Platte area was noted for its fine hay meadows. Some of the best known cattlemen lived in the area and the town was actually located on some of the Harmony Cattle Ranch property. When the railroad came through a station was erected folowed by a general store and postoffice. The first home was built by John Ballard. The first newspaper was owned and edited by Mr. E.A. Buckley, and was known as the Buckley's Store News and later , the Crook News. Mr. Buckley was the first business man in town and C.W. Kreager, the second. The first postmaster was Mr. Atkinson who was also the first railroad agent. The first school was taught in the second story of the section house by Miss Atkinson.The school was held in various other buildings in the town until 1911 when a new school building was built and Mrs. E.A. Buckley was the first president of the School Board. In 1887 a colony of 200 Hollanders located just outside of town building thirteen sets of buildings with a two story office building and hotel. They were going to build the community into a farming area but the venture proved a failure and the entire colony left a few years later. Since then and with new irrigation ditches the surrounding area has turned into a very successful agricultural community raising sugar beets, corn, alfalfa and other small grain. At one time there were four general stores, the Crook lumber company, First State Bank of Crook, Johnson's Drug Store, Crook Auto Company, Crook Meat Market, Crook Cafe (still operating), two elevator companies, blacksmith shop, Crook Billiards, a cream shop and shoe shop, Crook Telephone Co.,gas station, W.M. James was the first Justice of the Peace and Police Magistrate and the first mayor was Mr. Leon Louizeaux and C.A. Austin, the second. The Town of Crook was named after Major George Crook, whose military service extended over a 40 year time span. He participated in many battles and expeditions in the west where he led his troops agains the Indians. In 1875 to 1882, he was placed incommand of the Department of the Platte and he was responsible for the capture of many hostile Indians. Submitted by: Jay S. Warburton

Old church converted into the Crook Museum
Courtesy Jay Warburton

Remains of old school which was in use up until the mid 1970's.
Courtesy Jay Warburton

Old Ag Shop directly behind school. Now a Senior Center.
Courtesy Jay Warburton

Main Street, July, 2000
Courtesy Jay Warburton

Entrance to the Colorado Division of Wildlife's Tamarach Ranch. Over 20 miles of the South Platte River open to the public just one mile south of Crook.
Courtesy Jay Warburton

Elementary School (c.1925)
Courtesy Jesse Clear