NAME: Padroni
CLIMATE: Has all four seasons.
BEST TIME TO VISIT: Any time of the year.
COMMENTS: Head north out of Sterling on US Highway 138 9 miles to CO Highway 113 heading north for 3 miles. There are still a few year-round residents, a post office (which is a great place to get more facts about the town) and a tavern that is open on weekends and some week days. Because this town was basically founded as the main place for men working on the construction of North Sterling Reservoir, 5 miles to the west, the reservoir is a super fine place to go for recreation such as fishing, swimming, camping, boating and all around water fun. There isn't any place to stay in Padroni but there are plenty of motels in Sterling as well as beautiful camping facilities at the lake. Because the lake was built for irrigation it can be drawn down pretty low by mid-August making it hard to load and unload boats. For more information contact the Chamber of Commerce in Sterling or the Colorado Division of Parks and Recreation in Denver.
REMAINS: Lots of old abandoned buildings and some foundations.

Because of the irrigation water provided by the reservoir Padroni became a busy agricultural town of about 200 folks. However, it was originally built to house the workers and their families while work was being completed on the North Sterling Reservoir.

It was offically platted and surveyed in 1909 and named in 1910. L.K.Parr started the first general store and a man named Gray started a lumber yard. The Post Office was started in 1910 and is still operating today. There is a star route from this office that services a huge area to the north and west called the West Plains section of Colorado.There eventually were two general stores, a pool hall, garage, and two grain elevators. I.M. Davis owned one elevator and H.H. White owned the other. Until it closed in the late 50's or early 60's Padroni had one of the largest sugar beat stations operated by the Great Western Sugar Company. The Padroni State Bank was established in 1917 with C.M. Harris president and cashier and Iver Smith, Vice-president. All of the bank's stock was owned by local business men. C.A.ogers operated a blacksmith shop and Ann Norman was in charge of the cream station. Padroni also had its own telephone exchange. The Hotel St. Clair, rounded out the businesses. In 1916, the pride and joy of the community was erected, the Padroni School. It still stands today but is used as a private residence. One cute bit of history: Shortly after the turn of the century (as the story goes) the National Spittoon Spitting Contest was held here. An elderly lady from Montana won the contest with a direct hit from over 25' away. First prize was a gold plated sittoon. Submitted by: Jay S. Warburton

This was the old Padroni Post Office and grocery store
Courtesy Jay Warburton

Main steet. August, 2000.
Courtesy Jay Warburton

The Padroni School built in 1916. It is now a private residence. (August, 2000)
Courtesy Jay Warburton