CLIMATE: Snow, wind and cold in winter
BEST TIME TO VISIT: Accessible all year round.
Head east on US Hwy. 6 for 9 miles then turn north on State Hwy. 113 for 16 miles. There are a few full time retired farmers living in the city limits. The Peetz School is still alive and well and some of the teachers live in the town also. However, other than a pay at the pump gas station, a bar and post office, the business part of town is vacant. Other than some pheasant hunting in the fall there isn't much to do around here. About 15 miles to the north, into Nebraska, go and visit the world famous Cabela's Sporting Goods Headquarters located in Sidney.
REMAINS: A lot of old boarded up abandoned business buildings.
|Although this town really isn't that old in ghost town terms it's life span as a business community was short lived. It was originally called Mercer, named by the Burlington Northern Railroad when they put their section house and depot there. However, the name was later changed when one of the first early settlers came there whose name was Peter Peetz. The earliest use of the land on the 'Peetz Table' was for cattle grazing. A. G. Sherwin built a huge ranch by purchasing land from the railroad at $1.25 an acre. Frank L. Whitelock built the first building in 1914, and was the first mayor. He ran a real estate business plus opened the first hardware, lumber and furniture business. The town was incorporated May 9, 1917. At its peak the population was around 500. With over 20 business establishments ranging from pool halls to banks and even a movie theater, Peetz was the Queen city of the northern plains of Colorado. The Peetz Gazette, was founded by Jay Matthews in 1916 and was known as one of the finest newspapers in the entire state, including Denver. At one time the high school was the largest in Logan county except for Sterling. As farmers moved into the area wheat and prior to the dust bowl this region grew bumper crops. Peetz was also unique in the fact that it had its own power and light company. People also would take bottled water home when they visited the town because of the quality of the water from the deep town well. The first white child born in Peetz was William Colby and the first white girl was Kathryn Whitelock, daughter of Frank Whitelock. It is a sad statement but no records were kept on babies born from other races. Submitted by: Jay S. Warburton