BUCHANAN

NAME: Buchanan
COUNTY: Hardee
ROADS: 2WD
GRID: 3
CLIMATE: hot in summer (and most of spring and fall)
BEST TIME TO VISIT: anytime
COMMENTS: US17 south of Zolfo Springs, townsite is near the Ben Hill Griffin/Sweetwater Road intersection. Large antenna tower is the main landmark. Several houses in the general area, although not much found from the town's original boom period
REMAINS: large antenna tower, 9 or 10 houses, little to nothing from the earlier days
Buchanan was a turpentine town and stop along the now-defunct Seaboard Airline Railroad. The area was originally called Charlie Apopka for the nearby creek, and was renamed after John Buchanan, roadmaster for the Atlantic Coastline Railroad. In 1900 the population was over 250, with early settler names including Whidden, Boyette, McClellan and Swindall. A Post Office opened in 1910, in operation until closing in 1925. The town population began to decline in the 1920ís, and the discontinuance of the railroad line in 1984 served to further seal its demise. The turpentine business and most residents are long gone and today the only notable feature of Buchanan is a large antenna tower just off the main road. Submitted by: Jim Pike


Buchanan Townsite
Courtesy Jim Pike


Buchanan Townsite
Courtesy Jim Pike


former path of Seaboard Airline Railroad at Buchanan townsite
Courtesy Jim Pike


Town landmark:  large antenna tower
Courtesy Jim Pike

 BACK