NAME: Liverpool
COUNTY: Desoto
CLIMATE: Hot in summer, moderate otherwise
COMMENTS: Small population of countryside residents, not connected with the former town. US 17 south from Arcadia, past Fort Ogden to Liverpool Road. This leads to the site.
REMAINS: Portions of old dock and pilings
Liverpool was the southern point along the Peace River Phosphate Mining Company Railroad, a line that ran from Arcadia to docks along the Peace River. Phospate trains would reach Liverpool, which had a drying plant and barge loading facilities to ship the cargo off down river. The town was settled and platted in 1880, shorty after the discovery of phosphate in the area. The founder, John Cross of Liverpool England, envisioned it to be a large center of business and commerce. He operated the town general store, and J.E. Riley, who oversaw the mining operations, acted as mayor and local sheriff. With the phosphate industry fueling the economy, the town grew to include it's own post office, hotel, newspaper, and stage stop. John Cross used his success and wealth from Liverpool to buy land and build in several areas of neighboring Charlotte county. By 1905 the Peace River pebble phosphate supply was tailing off, and the rail line was extended to the deeper waters of Punta Gorda and Boca Grande. The Liverpool terminus became a spur off the main route, operating for another few years until the local supply died out. And as the phosphate disappeared, so did the town. By the 1920's it was just another old mining town that faded away. Submitted by: Jim Pike

Liverpool dock area
Courtesy Jim Pike

Courtesy Jim Pike