NAME: New Troy
COUNTY: Lafayette
CLIMATE: Hot in Summer
BEST TIME TO VISIT: Best Fall/Winter/Spring
COMMENTS: few residents. Location: 1 mile norht of intersection of Hwys 20 & 425 on the Suwanee River.
REMAINS: Some Crumbled Foundations
After the destruction of Troy (Old Troy) the townspeople settled New Troy. By 1870 the thriving community of about 500 featured a cotton gin, sawmill, two general stores, jail, boarding house, log houses w/stick and clay chimneys, a Baptist Church, and a Methodist Church. John Kremenger was postmaster, D. M. McAlpin was the superintendant of schools and William Edwards was the Sheriff. There were two newspapers The Lafayette County Messenger and The Lafayette County Enterprize though neither are preserved in any collections today. The area was a hub for steamboat traffic that ended in 1899 and products like turpentine, cotton vegetables, and oranges were shipped out. There also was a Ferry across the Suwanee River to Branford until 1917. New Years Eve the court house burned down. No one knew why but rumors have it being done as a drunken prank. The documents in the Lafayette County Courthouse in Mayo still show the scorch marks from this fire. After this, the county seat was moved to Mayo where it is today. The removal of the court house was the end of New Troy. Residents started moving away and merchants started to leave too. The homes and businesses were boarded up and offered for sale. Today New Troy is completely deserted with no building left. Submitted by: Mike Woodfin