NAME: Osowaw Junction
COUNTY: Okeechobee
CLIMATE: Hot most of the year, mild in winter
COMMENTS: Located in the North-East corner of Okeechobee County, off of 441 between Fort Drum and Yeehaw Junction. Alternately spelled Osawaw, Osowa, and Osawa (and probably a few other ways).
REMAINS: fruit stand, two-story house, shed, and partial barn remains
In 1914 a train station was established here, several miles north of Fort Drum along the Kissimmee Valley Extension of the Florida East Coast Railroad. It was given the name Osowaw, a Seminole Indian word meaning "bird". It was a citrus town, with many orange and tangerine groves. It had a steady and growing population due to the railroad, including by 1921 it's own public school. The end came about when the rail line was abandoned. Most of the residents left the area, and Osowaw Junction went back to citrus groves and scattered farms. Submitted by: Jim Pike

Old house at Osowaw Junction
Courtesy Jim Pike

Back view of old Osowaw Junction house
Courtesy Jim Pike

interior shot of old house at Osowaw Junction (taken from outside, thru the window opening)
Courtesy Jim Pike

Shed near the old Osowaw Junction house
Courtesy Jim Pike

Remains of Osowaw Junction fruit stand
Courtesy Jim Pike

Close-up of fruit stand "Tangerine" sign
Courtesy Jim Pike

Train coming into "Osawa Junction", 1924.  Courtesy of TommyMarkham.com