NAME: St John
CLIMATE: Snow in in late fall, winter, early Spring,
BEST TIME TO VISIT: Lat Spring, Summer, early Fall.
St John is located on State Road E. Take 136 from Unionville, MO 15 miles to highway 139. Turn Right on 139 and drive five miles. Turn north and drive about 5 miles to state road E. Turn right and stay on E for about five miles. The old Schoolhouse is located in a pasture on the left side of the road just after the gravel road that leads to the cemetery.
REMAINS: School house and cemetery
|St John had a population of 1800 as late as the 1930s. Most of the Conestoga Wagons that were used on the Oregon trail were built here. It had what was considered a large Baptist Church for its time, two other churches, two hardware stores, a blacksmith shop,two grocery stores, and a general store, and a school house. The only thing left is the school house Cemetery just northwest of it where a soldier of the war of 1812 is buried. Submitted by: Phillip Maine