NAME: Old Chico
CLIMATE: Mild Summers, Cold Winters with plenty of snow
BEST TIME TO VISIT: Year round, temps below zero in winter
COMMENTS: There are only 15 year round residents in Old Chico. Old buildings line Old Chico Rd. Chico Hot Springs and Resort is less than 5 miles away and provides great accomodations.
REMAINS: Few buildings left, but scenery and area are spectacular.

Old Chico is a smaller ghost town near yellowstone national park. Its few year round inhabitants have lived in Old Chico all their lives. The town is in ok shape but nothing spectacular.Many tourists visit Old Chico on their way to Yellowstone National Park. If you live in the area it would be a graet weekend trip, but if you live far away it is worth the while to see Yellowstone and Old Chico. Submitted by: Rich Byron

Gold was discovered in the Chico area in 1863. Mining in the Curry Mining District was begun in the spring of 1894. During this period, miners working in the area lived in a settlement called "Yellowstone City." Due to harassment by Crow Indians, Yellowstone City was abandoned by 1865. After Yellowstone City's demise, a new settlement was built at Chico. The Chico townsite was closer to Emigrant Gulch and the mining activity. Chico's population in 1874 was 300. Eventually a school, general store and two boarding houses were built at the site. The town never had a saloon. As the threat from the Crow abated, houses were built further up Emigrant Gulch and closer to the mines. The St. Julian Mine was opened in 1887. Ore from the St.
Julian assayed out at $360 in gold and $40 in silver per ton of ore. A ten stamp mill was built in the late 1890's and a 12 stamp mill in 1904.
The 1904 mill also had a Blake Crusher and 6 Frue Venners.

The majority of the gold found in the Chico area was placer gold. Placer mining continued in the area from 1901–1942. A 70 ton Bucyrus steam shovel worked the lower placer ground. A second shovel of the same size was added in 1912. Shovel and hydraulic mining continued until 1932. In 1940 the Emigrant Mining Company built a giant Yuba electric dredge.
4,352 ounces of gold were recovered by the dredge until mining was stopped by WWII. Mining was resumed after the war, but was never profitable, and was stopped in 1946. The dredge was sold and disassembled.

The Chico post office was open from 1874–1919.

Information for summaries was obtained from "Ghost Towns and Mining Districts of Montana" by Terry Halden; "Montana Ghost Towns and Gold Camps" by Wm. W. Whitfield; other sources and the author's original research. Doc Holliday

License Plate Shack
Courtesy M.S. "Doc" McLanahan

1937 International Pickup
Courtesy M.S. "Doc" McLanahan

Antler Shed
Courtesy M.S. "Doc" McLanahan

Boarding House
Courtesy M.S. "Doc" McLanahan