| NAME: Chilili
CLIMATE: The weather will be no problem
BEST TIME TO VISIT: Any time
. Present spanish village was established
in 1841, however this site was visited by Chamuscado in 1581 and probably
is referred to by Onate in 1598 as Chiu Alle. Alonso de Benavides mentions
it in 1630 as the first pueblo of the Tompira Indian group, and refers to
missionary activity begun by the Fransicans about 1613. Pueblo was abandoned
between 1669 and 1676 because of Apache raids. Chilili' on L'Atlas Curieux
(1700). Ruins of Indian pueblo lie on W side of ARROYO DE CHILILI.Post office
from 1882 to 1937.CHILILI GRANT. In the SE corner of Torrance County line.
On March 8, 1841, Sandiago Padilla and six others, for themselves and twenty
more heads of families, petitioned Gov. Manuel Armijo. Grant was approved
March 20 and the men took possession on March 29, 1841.
|Chilili. In the Manzano mountains SE of Albuquerque, on US 10. One of the oldest place names in NM records, since the site was first visited in 1581. Submitted by: Samuel W McWhorter||