NAME: Engle
COUNTY: Sierra
GRID #(see map): 4
CLIMATE: Mild winter, warm summer
Spring, winter, fall
COMMENTS: 17 miles E of Truth or Consequences.
REMAINS: Only a few buildmgs remaim.
    Engle was built in 1879 as a station on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad. It probably was named for R.L. Engle, a railroad construction engineer. It became a thriving cattle town and shipping point for ore and supplies.
     Construction of Elephant Butte Dam (1911-16) brought new jobs to Engle, which reached a population of about 500. However, the town declined after the dam was completed. It had 200 residents in 1919 and 75 in 1926. The area east of town was restricted by the U.S. government when it created White Sands Missile Range in 1945, and that spelled the end. The post office, opened in 1881, was closed in 1955.
     A few people still live in Engle, and a few original buildings still stand, including the old schoolhouse, where church services continue to be held. Headquarters for the Armendariz Ranch, now owned by Ted Turner, is in Engle, along with several vineyards. Trains still pass through town. Courtesy Michael Cook

Only a few buildmgs remaim in Engle, once
an important railhead. Courtesy Michael Cook