NAME: San Pedro
COUNTY: Santa Fe
GRID #(see map): 2
CLIMATE: Cool winter, warm summer
COMMENTS: 30 Miles North of Albuquerque
REMAINS: Coke ovens and cemetery.
There was an active gold strike here by 1846 and sporadic work continued until 1880 when the San Pedro and Canon del Agua Company started full scale hydraulic operations. A formal townsite was laid out including a general store, hotel operated by Callaway & Patterson, three saloons and enough houses for 400 people. Eventually a large copper mine was opened 2 miles away by the same company. By that time large scale litigations erupted over mineral rights and many of the towns prominent citizens were jailed after attempting to seize property belonging to the company. The lack of water and litigation spelled the end of the copper mine but by 1887 gold was found again. Thomas Wright opened the famous Lucky Mine and the smelter was once again opened. New businesses and homes came to life including Delmonico's restaurant. Then in 1888 the courts ruled against the company in regards to mineral rights for several thousand acres. The next year the Lewisohn family acquired the company property and operated the Santa Fe Gold and Copper Company. Mining continued here in spurts through WWI but shortly after when the price of copper failed the buildings were raized. A W.S.Carnahan operated some of the mines during the late 1920's and a store and post office was re-established between 1927 and 1930. Today only a few coke ovens remain along with a cemetery and some foundations. Submitted by Henry Chenoweth.