VALMONT

NAME: Valmont
COUNTY: Otero
ROADS: 2WD
GRID #(see map): 8
CLIMATE: Mild winter, warm summer
BEST TIME TO VISIT:
Spring, winter, fall
COMMENTS: Short Lived
REMAINS: Nothing remains

Valmont was the last name of a railroad station located about five miles east of Dog Canyon in the Sacramento Mountains. It was first named Camp. Then in 1910, the name was changed to Shamrock followed by another name change in 1917 to Valmont. Only about forty people ever inhabited the site. Nothing remains to mark the site of the station of the former community.Courtesy Bub Chenoweth.

VALMONT. Trading point of may names, on US 54, and SP RR, 10 mi S of Alamogordo. First called DOG TOWN, from 'dog Canyon', for the huge prairie dog town in vicinity. Later changed to CAMP CITY, for a Mr. Camp an early settler; then to CAMP in 1908. In 1910 the name was again changed to SHAMROCK and finally, in 1915, to its present name, which seems to be a combination of 'vale' and 'mountain'. valmont. Post office 1917/1922.` Submitted by: Samuel W Mcwhorter

 BACK