AMARGOSA

NAME: Amargosa
COUNTY: Nye
ROADS: 2WD
GRID: 1
CLIMATE: Hot summer, cool winter.
BEST TIME TO VISIT: Anytime.
COMMENTS: Mining Camp
REMAINS: Foundation.

Amargosa became a fairly important stop on the Las Vegas and Tonopah Railroad. Originally a temporary site used while tracks were being laid westward toward Rhyolite and Beatty, it became permanent as strikes at Johnnie created the need for a station. The siding was called Johnnie Station until late 1901 when a post office was established and name Amargosa. The post office closed in 1902. Another post office opened three miles west of Rhyolite in 1904. By that time, there were a few buildings at Amargosa including a store, hotel, restaurant, and a blacksmith shop. A daily stage to Johnnie was created and Amargosa became a vital supply depot for town. When the Tonopah and Tidewater Railroad closed in 1907, Amargosa ceased to be the scene of much shipping activity. By June 1910 only the railroad agent and a merchant named Rathbone were left in the town. By 1915, the small town was completely abandoned. The only remnant of Amargosa is the large concrete foundation of the old station. The site is unrewarding.

Submitted by: HBC

 


 BACK