ATWOOD

NAME: Atwood
COUNTY: Nye
ROADS: 2WD
GRID: 1
CLIMATE: Hot summer, cool winter.
BEST TIME TO VISIT: Anytime.
COMMENTS: Was much at one time.
REMAINS: Foundations

Although Atwood was formed in 1901, it became a company town in January 1906 when the Griggs Atwood Mining Company purchased the town. A post office opened the following month. Atwood’s principal mines were the Butler, the Atwood, and the Golden Crown. By the end of 1906, the town had a population of 200, a newspaper, hotel, meat market, dance hall, and the usual number of saloons. The mainstay of Atwood was the Butler mine. When this mine closed in 1908, the town began to fade and was completely abandoned soon afterwards. There was a brief revival in 1914 that lasted until the early 1930s when the area was abandoned for good. Today, only one foundation and some broken glass are left.. Submitted by: HBC

 


 BACK