NAME: Edgemont
CLIMATE: Pleasant summer, heavy snow in winter.
BEST TIME TO VISIT: Summer, autumn.
COMMENTS: Private Property.
REMAINS: A few buildings.

While there was some mining activity in the area prior to 1900, the discovery of the mine located 1200 feet up the side of the mountain led to the beginning of Edgemont. It was a company town built by the Montana Limited Mining company beginning in 1901. As the mine began to produce the town began to grow. A post office opened on October 1, 1901 and the population had grown to 150 persons. The mine called the Lucky Girl it its stride in 1903 and led Elko County in gold production for the next four years. Dark clouds began to appear on the horizon in the form a legal challenge in court over the ownership of the Lucky Girl mine. The other challenge to operations was landslides that damaged the mill and other buildings and machinery. The population hoped for a quick legal resolution but that was not forthcoming. In 1910 Edgemont’s population was still 150 but everyone was holding on by a thread. All hopes were dashed as the years passed. By 1915 Edgemont was a ghost town. Other attempts were made in later years to revive the operation but they never came close to the figures reached in the early years. The former cite of the town is now located on private property.

Submitted by: Shawn Hall from his books Old Heart Of Nevada: Ghost Towns And Mining Camps Of Elko County Click here to purchase his book!

Connecting The West: Historic Railroad Stops And Stage Stations In Elko County, Nevada Click here to purchase his book!