| NAME: Fort Halleck
CLIMATE: Pleasant summer, heavy snow in winter.
BEST TIME TO VISIT: Summer, autumn.
| COMMENTS: Historical site.
First named Camp Halleck after the then commander of the United States Army Major General Henry Halleck, the camp was formed in 1867. It was renamed Fort Halleck in 1879. During its early years, the camp became the social center for the nearby valleys. Much of the goods and other materials required by the camp were furnished by local ranchers. The camp’s soldiers were frequent patrons to local saloons and dance halls. The soldiers were paid in government greenbacks. But to by goods or a drink required gold and silver plus a 50 percent premium for converting greenbacks. Soon after the completion of the Central Pacific railroad at the town of Halleck, there was constant pressure in Washington, D.C. to move the fort closer to the railroad. This never happened due to the high cost of constructing the fort in the first place. The fort was 12 miles from the railroad in Halleck. But the fort was doomed given the absence of any strategic importance and was abandoned in October of 1886. Today there are no physical remains of the once most expensive fort in military history.
Submitted by: Shawn Hall from his books Old Heart Of Nevada: Ghost Towns And Mining Camps Of Elko County Click here to purchase his book!