LANDER

NAME: Lander
COUNTY: Lander
ROADS: 4WD
GRID: 1
CLIMATE: Hot summer, cool winter.
BEST TIME TO VISIT: Anytime.
COMMENTS: Interesting country.
REMAINS: Stone Ruins.

The Bullion district was silent until 1880 when a number of mines were established and the camp of Lander was formed. By 1883, Lander’s population stood close to 100. Several mills were constructed that year and operated until 1885 when both mill shut down. Mining activity gradually declined and stopped altogether by 1890. Only occasional efforts were made thereafter but a school was built in 1889 and was used until 1898 serving students not only from Lander but also from nearby Utah Mine camp and Mud springs. Lander experienced a revival beginning in the summer of 1906 when mines, new and old, were worked. By 1907 Lander reached its peak of 75 residents. The revival ended during the summer of 1909 when the mines ran out of paying ore and Lander was headed for the ghosts. The district was abandoned for good in 1921.There are some stone ruins that mark the site.
Submitted by: HBC

 


 BACK