LODI

NAME: Lodi
COUNTY: Nye
ROADS: 2WD
GRID: 1
CLIMATE: Hot summer, cool winter.
BEST TIME TO VISIT: Anytime.
COMMENTS: Nice area.
REMAINS: Foundations.

The Lodi Mining District was formed in 1875 following the acquisition of a number of mines by several mining companies. By 1878 Lodi had a population of more than 100 and businesses that included a general store, a blacksmith shop, a boardinghouse, saloon, and a number of cabins. By 1879, the Argent Company that operated many of the mines found itself in deep financial trouble. In 1881, the mines were sold to satisfy a $43,000 judgment against the company. The district remained very quiet until 1905 when new discoveries were made. There were some moderate successes during the next few years but not enough to sustain ongoing activity. The end came in 1929 and the district never reopened. An abundance of stone foundations from early operations abound throughout the district along with ruins of smelters and other mining equipment. It makes for an interesting visit. Submitted by: HBC

 


 BACK