LUND

NAME: Lund
COUNTY: White Pine
ROADS: 4WD
GRID: 1
CLIMATE: Hot summer, cool winter.
BEST TIME TO VISIT: Anytime.

COMMENTS: Interesting Scenery.
REMAINS: Many original buildings.

The Tom Plane Ranch was established in 1873 and from it grew the town of Lund. The ranch was located on the Hamilton-Pioche stage line that was ideal for platting a townsite. One was platted in 1898 and was named after an Anthony H. Lund, an early Mormon settler. The Mormon Church would become the driving force behind Lund and nearby Preston. An old bunkhouse was converted into Lund’s first schoolhouse. Stores catering to local ranches opened, the most successful of them being the Lund Mercantile Company. In 1903 the first church was built. In 1908, a more substantial 30 by 50 foot cement block church was built. In 1915 the Lund District was bonded and a new concrete school constructed which was in turn replaced in 1931 by a new high school. Lund has continued to be a ranching town, never growing very large but maintaining a steady population of about 100. Buildings from Lund’s early years remain.
Submitted by: HBC

 


 BACK