MUNCY

NAME: Muncy
COUNTY: White Pine
ROADS: 4WD
GRID: 1
CLIMATE: Hot summer, cool winter.
BEST TIME TO VISIT: Anytime.

COMMENTS: Interesting Scenery.
REMAINS: Mill foundation.

Deposits of copper ore were discovered in the early 1860s and soon a small camp of 20 was formed. Muncy Creek showed promise of being a good copper source. A post office opened in 1882 and in 1886 a city site named Defiance was laid out. Defiance was supposed to be a stop on the proposed Salt Lake and Los Angeles Railroad. However, by August the Defiance townsite was defunct. Muncy Creek’s fortunes fell during the mid-1890s and the post office closed on March 21, 1898. A small revival took place from 1908 to 1912 when the Cambria Copper Company reopened the mines. The company went bankrupt in early 1913 when the ore deposits gave out. Muncy Creek’s last revival began in 1919 and lasted until 1923 when the district returned to ranching. Only the mill foundation now marks the Muncy townsite.
Submitted by: HBC

 


 BACK