NEWARK

NAME: Newark
COUNTY: White Pine
ROADS: 4WD
GRID: 1
CLIMATE: Hot summer, cool winter.
BEST TIME TO VISIT: Anytime.

COMMENTS: Interesting Scenery.
REMAINS: Collapsed buildings.

Newark Valley was unexplored when in 1866 two prospectors discovered silver ore and staked their claims. The claims were then sold to the Centenary Silver Company in 1867. The company spent $50,000 to build a mill at the newly formed camp. Another $130,000 was spent adding eight reverberatory roasting furnaces, ten amalgamating pans, and other additions. These additions were a waste of money because the ores of the district were free milling and didn’t need to go through the amalgamation process. Money for the expansion was given by the Methodist Church with the understanding when profits were available, a new Methodist Church would be built in Austin. The Newark Mining Company bought out the Centenary Company in 1872 and the town of Newark peaked soon thereafter. The summer of 1874 saw close to 200 miners working the district, but the shallow deposits soon ran out and the Newark District began a quick slide to oblivion. Mill foundations dominate the site, with mine dumps and collapsed wooden buildings scattered nearby.
Submitted by: HBC

 


 BACK