| NAME: Springdale
CLIMATE: Hot summer, cool winter.
BEST TIME TO VISIT: Anytime.
| COMMENTS: Short lived.
REMAINS: Scant ruins.
During the nineteenth century, Indians camped at the site that later was to be Springdale. After they departed, a number of small ranches were built at the fertile location. The railroads arrival in the winter of 1906 put Springdale on the map. A station house and water tank were built for the area had an excellent water supply. A small settlement grew up around the railroad station that became the railhead for the booming Pioneer district. By the summer of 1907, Springdale had four saloons, a number of restaurants, a hotel, livery stable, and a popular red light district. A fifty-ton mill was built to treat ores from nearby mines. In May, a school was built. Springdale remained an important stop on the Bullfrog-Goldfield Railroad until Pioneer began to decline late in 1911. At that time, the population of Springdale was seventy-five. When the mill was forced to close, people began moving away and the population at the end of 1911 had shrunk to ten. The post office closed in 1912. Even the trains stopped running in 1928 and Springdale faded into history.
Submitted by: Shawn Hall from his book Preserving The Glory Days: Ghost Towns And Mining Camps Of Nye County, Nevada Click here to purchase his book!