| NAME: Stone House
CLIMATE: Hot summer, cool winter.
BEST TIME TO VISIT: Anytime.
| COMMENTS: Pretty scenery.
REMAINS: Quite a bit.
L.D. Smith built the two-story station house and ranch in the early 1860s. It was a stop on the Belmont-Austin stage line and weary travelers used it for thirty years. Smith was killed on March 6, 1869 in a gun battle and the station was known for many years as Widow Smith’s place. After the stage stopped running in the mid 1890s, the property was sold to an Indian family. They erected new buildings around the old station house and used the small complex as a ranch. The ranch stayed in the family until the mid-1960s. The ranch has been abandoned since then, and the nearby Pine Creek Ranch now owns it. Remains at Stone House are fairly extensive and interesting.
Submitted by: Shawn Hall from his book Preserving The Glory Days: Ghost Towns And Mining Camps Of Nye County, Nevada Click here to purchase his book!