TAMBERLANE CANYON

NAME: Tamberlane Canyon
COUNTY: White Pine
ROADS: 4WD
GRID: 1
CLIMATE: Hot summer, cool winter.
BEST TIME TO VISIT: Anytime.

COMMENTS: Interesting Scenery.
REMAINS: Mill ruins.

Joseph “Tamberland Joe” Thompson and a few other prospectors were the only residents of the canyon until 1873 when a new strike brought about 40 men to the district. A small townsite was laid out and a camp began to form. Several frame buildings, including a saloon and a store, were built. But virtually all mining activity ceased in the 1890s. Then in 1907 manganese was discovered. Production from 1907 to 1930 was a shade under $200,000. The district was silent for close to twenty years until a mill was built in 1951. Forty-five men were employed and fairly consistent production took place until 1959 when the district was abandoned for good. Not much remains except some of the mill ruins.

Submitted by: HBC

 


 BACK