TREASURE CITY

NAME: Treasure City
COUNTY: White Pine
ROADS: 4WD
GRID: 1
CLIMATE: Hot summer, cool winter.
BEST TIME TO VISIT: Anytime.

COMMENTS: Interesting Scenery. Great article on Treasure City.
REMAINS: Many buildings

Only Treasure City achieved any prominence on Treasure Hill. While the Hill was host to many other small and short-lived mining camps during the late 1860s, all faded very quickly. Within one year of the discovery of the Hidden Treasure Mine in 1867, 6,000 people called Treasure City “home.” The town was originally named Tesora, and a post office was opened on April 23, 1869 with that name. The name was officially changed to Treasure City on June 15th. Most of the buildings were made of stone, not only to prevent fire but also to keep out the intense cold. The climate on top of Treasure Hill was extremely cold and bitter but the lure of riches outweighed the unfavorable weather. By the end of 1869, nearly two hundred mines and 10 mills were active in the Treasure Hill District. The mining excitement in the district helped propel Treasure City to its peak during 1869 and 1870. During the hustle and bustle of 1869, the town had more than 40 stores, about a dozen saloons, impressive Masonic and Odd Fellows lodges, and its own stock exchange. All of this excitement did not save the mines. The ore values plummeted and many of the deposits disappeared. By the end of 1870 Treasure City’s population dropped to fewer than 500 people. A major fire in the spring of 1874 leveled most of Treasure City and destroyed the business district. Total production from the Treasure Hill mines from 1867to 1880 was close to $20 million. Treasure City and the entire district is a must for the visitor’s itinerary.

Submitted by: HBC

 


 BACK