NAME: Cold Spring
CLIMATE: Lots of snow in winter
BEST TIME TO VISIT: Any, but winter
Can be accessed from Steamburg, NY via the Old Rt. 17.
REMAINS: Old Rt.17, Old Rt. 280 and Snow Street
|Was formerly a hamlet of considerable importance, having been the center of a great lumber trade. In 1839 the place had three taverns. After the lumber business declined and the railroad was built through Steamburg, the whites living in the hamlet removed, leaving it tenanted by the Indians, and there is nothing now to remind the passer-by of the former activity and importance of the old village of Cold Spring. This Hamlet is on the Allegany Indian Reservation and once was the location of the Seneca Longhouse. In the late 1960's all the Senecas were evicted by the Government due to the building of the Kinzua Dam in Pa.
Submitted by: M.Militello