NAME: Broken Sword
CLIMATE: Snow in winter, medium to mild summer
BEST TIME TO VISIT: Summer
REMAINS: A few homes.
Delawares and Wyandots captured an Indian fighter named Colonel William Crawford in the late 1700s near what is now State Route 19, north of Bucyrus. To prevent them from killing him with his own sword, he broke it in the ground. He was then burned at the stake. A few years later a businessman, David Porter, laid out a town and named it Portersville. Later, the town was renamed Wingert Corners. After the North's victory during the Civil War, the people of Wingert Corners changed the name to Broken Sword to honor Col. Crawford. In 1899, pieces of what appeared to be Crawford's sword were found and donated to Upper Sandusky Museum in 1953. Today, Broken Sword is a ghost town of a few homes.
Submitted by Henry Chenoweth.