CLIMATE: Cool winter and summer.
BEST TIME TO VISIT: Anytime.
On the water.
REMAINS: Extensive remnants including the wharf and many buildings.
Soon after the end of the Civil War, the
R.N. Knapp family arrived on a narrow strip of land on the north
shore of the Columbia River near its mouth. Jabez Knappton, a
son, had an interest in geology and found an outcropping of lime
rock in the area. He discovered it would make good cement and
proceeded to open a small cement plant.
This gave the town its first name-Cementville. This business was the cause of the influx of workers and others who came to make their home there. A post office was opened in 1871 and Jabez Knappton became its first postmaster. As a result, the town was re-named Knappton. When the limestone became scarce, the cement plant slowed and reduced operations. The town had to look elsewhere as a means of maintaining its economy. The area was rich in fir, spruce and cedar trees so the obvious choice was lumber. A sawmill was built in 1871 and Knappton became a lumber town. It served the town for seventy years when, in 1941, the mill caught fire and was totally destroyed. The lumber mill died and Knappton died with it. The post office closed November 15, 1943. What is left is worthwhile seeing. Abandoned homes, a few buildings, the quarantine station buildings, wharves and weathered pilings make for an interesting visit. Submitted by Henry Chenowith.