NAME: Goodwill
COUNTY: Mercer
CLIMATE: Hot humid summers, colorful autumns, snow in winter
COMMENTS: It's a good place for hiking. The spring that was beside the post office still has good cold water. You can still get a car to where the old company store was located. From there, a 4WD truck would be best to get up the hollow to the coal tipple. From I77 take Route 52 North , turn left on state route 71(Lorton Lick Road, Turn left at the old Montcalm school. Drive to Duhring, and go straight up the hollow.
REMAINS: One house
Robert and Phillip Goodwill opened a coal mine and built the town in 1886. Justus Collins opened another mine in 1887. There were two saw mills, two coal tipples, two power plant, two company stores, two schools, three churches, a union hall, post office, theater, dance hall, pool room, shoe shop, doctors office, and over a hundred homes. In 1950, Goodwill had a population of 1536.In 1958, the mine was closed, and the residents left; then all the buildings were torn down except for one house. Submitted by: Kenneth Bowen

The building on the right is the Goodwill Coal and Coke Company store. The large buildong on the left center is the Louisville Coal and Coke Company store. This area was the center of the Goodwill Coal Camp. The only things that remain are the Louisville Company Store steps, and the concrete box which housed the safe.
Ken Bowen

This photo is of the elementary school at Goodwill, West Virginia it closed in 1959. Nothing remains, not even the rock wall.
Ken Bowen.

Louisville Coal and Coke Store of Winding Gulf Collieries, Goodwill, West Virginia with the post office building in front of the store. This was the heart of the Goodwill Coal Camp. All the families met here everyday except Sunday. All that remains is the spring at the post office, the store steps, and the concrete block where the store and pay roll office had the safe. Kenneth Bowen

This is the Louisville Coal and Coke Company tipple where coal was washed, slate removed, sorted by size, and shipped in railroad cars. Over one hundred men worked here everyday from 1886-1958. The tipple was torn down in the early 1960's for scrap steel. Only the concrete footers remain. Kenneth Bowen