NAME: Bayview (Pinellas county)
COUNTY: Pinellas (formerly Hillsborough)
CLIMATE: Typical Florida weather...warm to hot, especially during summer
COMMENTS: To reach Bayview, take highway 60 west from Tampa across the Courtney Campbell Causeway into Pinellas county (which becomes Gulf-to-Bay Blvd). After crossing under McMullen Booth Road/Bayside Bridge, look for Bayview Avenue on the south side of the roadway. The present townsite is essentially a small, old neighborhood with sections of the townsite now occupied by a county park and church grounds.
REMAINS: Some older homes (1920s-1940s era), 1918 dwelling on church property, remains of old wharf/dock pilings.There was an indian midden located on the present church property though it is unknown if this still exists.
Bayview, a small settlement on the western edge of Tampa Bay just south of Safety Harbor, began as early as 1845. James McMullen, one of 7 brothers to settle into the Pinellas peninsula, was one of the earliest settlers. Elias Hart, along with Daniel and James McMullen began to develop mid-Pinellas for agriculture and cattle ranching, but since the area was still occupied by Seminole Indians it was dangerous work. The lore is that the Seminoles burned James' original cabin. He rebuilt on what it today the corner of Old Coachman and SR 590, about a mile and a half from Bayview. The original cabin was there until the early 1990's when it was relocated to Heritage Village. According to articles written for "The Sun" in 1949-50 by Nancy McMullen Meador the settlement was known as "Eagle's Nest" and "Shipping Pen" in its earliest days. Bayview was a small port used for shipping out cattle that were driven to the shore from the north central part of the state. As the port was used more and settlers came, McMullen saw the need for development. A bridge was built over Alligator Creek, connecting Bayview to the McMullen settlement. This was the first road in Pinellas County. Eventually a small school, two stores and an inn were built in Bayview. A post office was established in 1885. Additional firsts in Bayview include McMullen creating the first orange crate in Florida! Previous to his invention citrus was simply dumped in the hull of boats and transported in bulk. Somewhere around 1922 Charles Murcott obtained a variety of tangerine from the USDA and added the species to his grove in Bayview. The fruit thrived and became known as the Murcott tangerine. As shipping waned, the railroad increased and cities such as Clearwater, Largo and Safety Harbor increased in size, small settlements in Pinellas were absorbed into the development. Bayview managed to remain a small residential area. A 1920 census enumerates about 75 residents, many of whom are listed as laborers in the groves. A 1954 St. Petersburg Times article reporting on a party at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Earley J McMullen lists approximately 20 individuals who were all Bayview residents. A 1979 article from the Evening Independent alludes to more notorious chapter in Bayview's history. The residence at 725 Bayview Ave (circa 1918 and still standing) was the apparent epicenter of a drug running operation. Reportedly 10 tons of marijuana was delivered to the shore via the Bayview dock, laded into smaller boats with intent to distribute and sell. As of the 1979 article all of the 25 men arrested, except for 2, had been acquitted due to legal technicalities. Many of modern Bayview's residents are descendents from the McMullen clan and have fought hard to remain a vital part of Florida's history. The small settlement has been encroached on by 6 lane Hwy 60, the 4 lane Bayside Bridge, a gas station, bait shop, trailer parks and religious retreats. There remain a few houses from the early 20th century, the pilings of a wharf and dock and many towering oaks. Gone are the sites of the Indian Midden Black Mound (one of only two known in Pinellas), the school, post office and inn, along with Meadow Lark lane. Visit soon and enjoy a step back in old Florida in the tiny but beautiful settlement right on Tampa Bay. In response to development threatening the site residents created the Historic Bayview Association. Read the full history of Bayview at the association's web site For more Pinellas history visit online or in person. Submitted by: Erik Ransom and Dara Vance

McMullen Cabin at Coachmen and 590 about 1 1/2 mile from Bayview.  Part of City of Clearwater Archives.

1845 surevy map showing Bayview as a "wood yard"
Courtesy Erik Ransom and Dara Vance

1943 PALMM map - note two piers to the south
Courtesy Erik Ransom and Dara Vance

CR 31 looking east.  Bayside bridge is visible.  CR 31 used to continue and turn to the north connecting with McMullen-Booth Rd.
Courtesy Erik Ransom and Dara Vance

Meadowlark Lane looking North - now used as a driveway
Courtesy Erik Ransom and Dara Vance

Potential site of the Indian Midden now part of private property.
Courtesy Erik Ransom and Dara Vance

Remnants of dock pilings - there are two other areas with wharf and dock remnants as well
Courtesy Erik Ransom and Dara Vance

House circa 1918 facing Tampa Bay - now part of a religious retreat
Courtesy Erik Ransom and Dara Vance

The corner of Bayview Ave and Hwy 60.  Also on the corner is a bait shop.  Across the street is an office building and vacant auto repair shop.
Courtesy Erik Ransom and Dara Vance