NAME: Hampton Springs
BEST TIME TO VISIT: Anytime
Rural Homes. Take US 98 South about 5 miles North of Perry turn Right (West) on the road marked for the correctional institution. Take any of the dirt roads that go off to the right and go down to the river. Also check out the "Cracker" Farm Museum that is on South US 19 just to the south of Perry. This is a beautiful renovation of an actual "dog-trot" design along with the entire farm.
REMAINS: Hampton Springs Hotel foundation with the spring and pool, Various "Cracker" homesteads.
|The story on Hampton Springs goes that Joe Hampton, an early Taylor County settler whose wife suffered from rheumatism, was directed by an Indian to these springs. When the water eased her pain and stiffness, Hampton obtained a government grant to the spring area for $10.00. A descendant built a hotel here in 1904 to accommodate visitors to the springs. A Post Office is on record from 1904 - 1944. Hampton Springs was developed into a winter resort in 1910 when the Hampton Springs Hotel was built. The hotel was built over the Hampton Spring and the spring bubbled up into an indoor swimming pool. The overflow was channeled back out to the river. The hotel was destroyed by fire in 1954. Submitted by: Mike Woodfin