NAME: Newnansville
COUNTY: Alachua
CLIMATE: Cool in Winter
BEST TIME TO VISIT: Spring or Summer
COMMENTS: Local Residents. 1.5 miles NE of Alachua on FL 235. Nearby see the remains of the old towns of Hague (sawmill town), Traxler (farming town),
REMAINS: Newnansville Cemetery
Newnansville was originally settled by the Dell brothers and called Dell's Post Office about 1818. The town became the county seat and renamed Newnansville, 1824. There was a post office, church, school, hotel, courthouse, and a fort. At one time the nearly the entire voting population of Alachua County, which was much larger then, could be found in Newnansville. When the railroad came through from Fernandina to Cedar Key it stopped in a small area called "Hog Town". This would later become Gainesville, home of the University of Florida. The courthouse was moved to Gainesville. Eventually a RR spur would come near but not near enough and create the town of Alachua. The remaining businesses moved near the RR and shortly Newnansville would be a ghost town, 1890. There were some homes remaining from the original town but are gone now. The cemetery still bears the name of Newnansville and the graves carry the names of those early residents who lived and died there. There is also a Black Cemetery in the rear. A Historical Marker marks the original spot of the town. Submitted by: Mike Woodfin

Early Newnansville (Courtesy of Florida History Through It's Places)

Historical Marker on the Newnansville Site (Courtesy of Mike Woodfin)

Newnansville Cemetery (Courtesy of Mike Woodfin)

Old Farmhouse (Courtesy of Florida State Archieves)