NAME: Hammons Mill
CLIMATE: Snow in winter, warm summers
BEST TIME TO VISIT: Late Spring and Summer
COMMENTS: From Gainsville, MO take 181 north 20.8 miles, turn right on state road CC and go 4 miles. Cross the bridge. The access will be on the right. From West Plains, MO Take West Gibson st, also known as State Hgwy CC west 16.2 miles. Access is on the left just before the bridge.
REMAINS: Hammons Mill foundations. State recreation area. Hammons Mil lBible camp. Canoe Float service.

SHORT BIOGRAPHY: The Grits Mill and small community was founded just after the civil war. A flood on the Norfork river washed it away in 1888. It was rebuilt and burnt in 1901 and was rebuilt by Lincoln Hammons. He sold it to a lumber company about 1929. The lumber company sold out to the US Forest service in 1935 and the mill was torn down. Workers houses were located near it. All that is left is the concrete foundations, only accessible by canoe located up river from the bridge on the right.


Submitted by: Phillip Maine

Hammons Mill
Courtesy Phillip Maine

Lincoln Hammons Grave
Courtesy Phillip Maine