NAME: Eberhardt
COUNTY: White Pine
CLIMATE: Hot summer, cool winter.

COMMENTS: Great site to visit.
REMAINS: Massive foundations and mill ruins.


The town was located on the southeast side of famed Treasure Hill. The first discoveries were made in December 1867 when the Eberhardt Mine was located. The mine had a fabulously rich ore chamber that the federal mining commissioner reported as having walls and ceiling of silver. During construction of the mills, Eberhardt’s population grew to more than 200. Businesses opened and mail was brought from Hamilton three times a week. As mill construction progressed, the town continued to boom. Saloons, mercantile stores, and other businesses thrived. But disaster struck on August 31, 1872 when one of the largest mills was destroyed by a suspicious fire. The mill was rebuilt and started operating in November of 1873. Eberhardt’s population stood at 170 in 1880 but soon after the town began a rapid decline. Mining became sporadic and by 1897 only four homes and two inhabitants were left. Today, the massive foundations of the mills dominate Eberhardt and building ruins are scattered throughout the site. The site presents unlimited exploration possibilities for photographers and ghost town enthusiasts.

Submitted by: Shawn Hall from his book Romancing Nevada's Past: Ghost Towns And Historic Sites Of Eureka, Lander, And White Pine Counties Click here to purchase his book!