NAME: Mineral Hill
COUNTY: Eureka
CLIMATE: Hot summer, cool winter.
COMMENTS: Interesting country.
REMAINS: Mill Ruins. 

Two prospectors discovered some rich silver float in June 1869. They staked claims and formed the Mineral Hill Mining District. A test load of ore sent to Austin yielded $200 per ton and showed values in gold, silver, copper, zinc, and lead. The pair sold their holdings in 1870 for $400,000. The Mineral Hill Mining Company was organized and began operations in September 1870. Interest in the Mineral Hill District grew rapidly. By fall in 1870, more than 400 people could call Mineral Hill home. The town had four saloons, two hotels, A Wells-Fargo station, and a number of other businesses. The following year brought another hotel, a schoolhouse, and the opening of a post office. During that same year, an English company bought the holdings of the Mineral Hill Mining Company for $1.2 million. A month later, another English company bought the holdings for $2.5 million. During 1871 and 1872, the company mined the area at an accelerated rate and more than $1 million were produced. By summer of 1872 the company had mined out all the ore and ended operations before the end of the year. It terminated the employment of 100 men and began the exodus from Mineral Hill. By spring 1873, only a few people remained. The company tried for two years to find new deposits but all efforts were in vain. Mining in the district was virtually non-existent until 1880 when other mining companies discovered new deposits that lasted only brief periods of time. The district remained dormant, except for minor activity in the 1930s, until the 1980s when a new company began conducting cyanide-leaching operations on the extensive ore dumps near the town. Very little of the town remains except some stone ruins along with rubble from several wood structures. The most impressive ruins are the extensive mill remains. The road to Mineral Hill is very sandy and treacherous and requires caution. Submitted by: HBC