NAME: Tybo
CLIMATE: Snow in winter, Hot in summer.
Spring and Fall.
COMMENTS: Located about 8 miles northwest of HWY 6 north of Warm Springs.
Semi-Ghost. Seasonal residents and some continued mining activity.
REMAINS: Many original buildings and cabins, a cemetary and charcoal kilns.

Gold was discovered by Indians around 1870 and the main lode discovered later that year.
Tybo's boom years were 1875-1877, with a population of about 1000. There were whiskey shops, a school, a literary society, a post office and a newspaper office.The town was considered calm until the racial difficulties between the Irish, Cornish, Central Europeans and the Chinese. The white factions united at one point and drove the Chinese, who worked for cheaper wages, out with bullets and whips!
In 1879 the Tybo Consolidate Mining Company failed due to difficulties in ore reduction and by the spring of 1880 town was practically dead. Numerous mining companies had tried to resurect operations but all have failed.
Submitted by: Cat Evans

One of the discovery sites in the Hot Creek range was named Tybo, a word derived from the Shoshone meaning “white man’s district.” The first major ore discovery in Tybo was made in 1870. However, it was not until 1874 that a small camp began to form in Tybo. The Tybo Consolidated Mining Company was formed in 1875 and controlled three major mines near the camp. A Wells Fargo office was opened in the growing camp along with a merchandise store and even a bank. By 1876, the town’s population had grown to almost 1,000. Because of constant problems arising from the clashing of cultures, the town had been divided into three separate sections: an Irish section, a Central European section, and a Cornish section. Buildings in the town had grown to include five stores, a number of saloons, two blacksmith shops, a post office, a newspaper, a schoolhouse, a jail, a brass band, an International Order of Odd Fellows chapter and much more. The mining company ran into problems in early 1881 when the quality of the ore dropped drastically and it was forced to close down in November, 1881. By the end of the year, only 100 people were left in Tybo. For the next twenty-five years, Tybo barely managed to cling to life. A major fire in 1884 destroyed thirty-two buildings. There was any number of revival attempts during the intervening years, some more successful than others. From 1942 to 1945 eighteen men worked hauling old tailings to Tonopah for treatment. That was the last production to come from Tybo. Tybo’s total production value stands at an amazing $9.8 million. The town is one of the better ghost towns in Nye County and a handful of people still make their homes there.

Submitted by: Shawn Hall from his book Preserving The Glory Days: Ghost Towns And Mining Camps Of Nye County, Nevada Click here to purchase his book!

Courtesy Cat Evans

Courtesy S. Martin Shelton